[From the Community collection, a public trust in Agincourt, Iowa]
COLT, Stockman Beekman [1863–1937]
Paying Homage to Architecture
ink drawing on paper / 4.75 inches by 7 inches
Colt was born in Paterson, New Jersey. Following study at the Paris Ecole des Beaux Arts (popular name for the École nationale supérieure des Beaux-Arts) and the requisite European Grand Tour, Colt returned to America and joined the Architectural League of New York in 1889. From 1894 to 1897 he was a partner in the firm of Trowbridge, Colt, and Livingston. From 1897 until his retirement he was in independent architectural practice on Fifth Avenue. It is thought that this drawing dates from his student days in Europe.
Though the drawing is on permanent loan to the collection, it hangs in the former architectural office of Anson Curtiss Tennant, a space which has been the meeting place for Agincourt’s Arts & Crafts movement since 1915. It was a gift in 1912 from A. James Tennant to celebrate the beginning of his son’s architectural practice.